List:       ipfilter
Subject:    Blocking the Nimda Worm
From:       Jesse Reynolds <lizst () va ! com ! au>
Date:       2001-09-19 15:37:24

Is there any way to use IP Filter to block the Nimba worm's malicious
HTTP requests?

Nimda uses Code Red work type exploits on IIS web servers.
Fortunately we don't have any Windows based servers at all so it's
not affecting us directly, but our network is seeing alot of incoming
activity from Nimba affected boxes "out there".

More info on Nimda:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.nimda.a@mm.html

from the above URL:

W32.Nimda.A@mm is a new mass-mailing worm that utilizes multiple
methods to spread itself. The worm sends itself out by email,
searches for open network shares, attempts to copy itself to
unpatched or already vulnerable Microsoft IIS web servers, and is a
virus infecting both local files and files on remote network shares.
The worm uses the Unicode Web Traversal exploit.  A patch and
information regarding this exploit can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms00-078.asp.

Thanks

-jesse

--