List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] Setting interfaces on VM
From:       Administrator <admin () different-perspectives ! com>
Date:       2014-07-05 19:58:27

On Sat, 2014-07-05 at 20:52 +0200, Diogene Laerce wrote:

> On 07/04/2014 09:59 PM, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> > Hi there,
>
> Hi, thanks for your reply.
>

> > This is only for experiment, right?
>
> Yes, but with the purpose of setting up a real life configuration based
> on the experiment.
>

> > You really need separate physical
> > networks for any of this to make sense from a security point of view.
>
> So, even if I set up a virtual interface (in a VM or not), there is no
> way to make IpCop useful in a "make sense secure" way ? May I ask why ?
>
> Does it mean that between 2 or more virtual interfaces belonging to the
> same hardware interface, some packets could fly from one to the other
> independently from my will ?

I seem to remember that,in the host machine, you can assign the NIC
dedicated to one VM (with IPCop) and create a virtual internal network
with virtual NICs in all the VMs, including IPCop.  You're still exposed
to the risk from defects in the host machine virtualisation software,
but it should prevent / control unrequested incomming connections.  But
you could do the same with any firewall on the host machine.

<SNIP>

> > 73
>
> 73 ?

5329