List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] port knocking
From:       john s wolter <johnswolter () wolterworks ! com>
Date:       2014-06-19 7:22:58

Spyros,

Some descendant student of Pythagoras may yet discover a way to have this
work.  It's also a matter for security philosophy and then actually getting
something to work.

Reading this discussion and the articles, I see a constant arms-race
between the crackers and the defenders. Port knocking is subject to the
same cycle.

I'm looking to capture the dynamics of these competing players.  Dynamics
is the future but beyond simple dynamics is responding to as new species
are released into the Internet ecosystem.  I'm remembering recently Brian
Dye, Symantec's senior vice president for information security saying
Anti-Virus is dead.

Role based security ideas within LINUX SE are partly a step forward.  The
NSA can be thanked for developing this module initially.  Since NSA
released it as open source, it was forked and expanded.  I'm sure those
words will spike some angst.

Cheers,
John S. Wolter
Wolter Works