List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] MAC filter
From:       David W Studeman <dwstudeman () ovi ! com>
Date:       2012-11-04 22:44:35

On 10/31/2012 2:54 AM, David Hand wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I noticed a bunch of hits in the firewall log from a number of ip's but all
> with the same MAC.
> So, says I, I'll just block that MAC entirely.
>
> Unfortunately though the firewall rules require a "service", Is there a
> simple way to block (drop)  everything?
>
> Dave

All uncommanded incoming packets are dropped by default anyway. What you
describe is rather normal everyday port scanning activity. For as long
as I can remember, my firewall daily summary shows hundreds of dropped
incoming packets daily. Sometimes close to 1000. Yesterday was 462.

Look at your daily log summary, you should see that the packets show red
dropped packets. You can't stop scanners from going ip to ip and
sniffing ports, you can only drop their packets which actually hurts
them because they are busy waiting for a response that never comes from
your ip.

As far as the MAC issue, my logs show the same MAC address from all
incoming packets. The packets come from many places including my own
email servers. Looking at my arp table shows that particular MAC to be
the gateway of my ISP to the internet. I don't think you want to mess
with that MAC address in any way shape or form. I'm sure you are not
seeing a MAC address from anyone other than your ISP's gateway.

--
Dave Studeman
http://www.raqcop.com