List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] Win7 connection issues - gone with IPCOP 2?
From:       john s wolter <johnswolter () wolterworks ! com>
Date:       2012-09-25 15:34:07

My overall diagnostic approach is to test from the bottom up to a working
system. While doing that I'm watching for unexpected results from ipconfig.

Jump outside the current situation.  One tool I use is a LINUX LiveCD  to
boot the host with a different OS.   Then determine if the Internet is
being dropped with LINUX too. I use the well known
http://www.sysresccd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage which has many utilities.
 You can check the boot logs from this.  Check any Win 7 Events logs as
well.

Starting at the bottom on Win 7 means being sure the NIC is working.  First
check the Win XP & 7 NIC power management.  Be sure the NIC is not powered
down when in power saving mode.  That drove me crazy.   Win XP laptops
would drop offline.

Try booting Win 7 with the network cable disconnected.  Also you can boot
Win 7 with a simple router like a Linksys.  Also try Win 7 boot into Safe
mode with networking.   Check ipconfig with each saving using the parameter
">ip-config.txt" from ipconfig /all or ifconfig -a in LINUX.

Try pings around the network segment then outside that segment and then to
a known Internet IP.  Post the ipconfig results in the form with changed
names to hide security detail.  Or send by mutual arrangement to one of the
IPCop developers.

Try NSLOOKUP or dig(if you have cygwin installed or the LiveCD) and see how
DNS resolution progresses with this command line tool.   Next would be the
installed protocols in Win 7.  Can IPv6 be disabled in Win 7?  Are there
any extra unused protocols that can be temporarily unchecked?

YouTube can be a source of tutorials for DNS zone & conf files.  Check
Split-Brain-DNS(Wikipedia & YouTube) which causes you to think carefully
about DNS configurations.

Cheers
John S Wolter
LinkedIn: johnswolter <http://www.linkedin.com/in/johnswolter>