List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] Fwd: FSF Campaign against Microsoft's Plan to
From:       john s wolter <johnswolter () wolterworks ! com>
Date:       2011-10-24 0:25:02

Mark,

I trust what you have to say but when FSF takes such a public step, I'm
curious.  FSF does not have a reputation for being totally off the wall.  I
think it is worth a look-see to understand what motivated the statements.

I can't see M$ would do what is described based on the wide use of VMs which
run different OSs including M$'s.

The market still buys M$ and Apple(luckily).  It appears that Android
combined with iOS may unseat the M$ desktop because people are buying and
carrying their smartphones.

The strategic difference is smartphones are connections to Cloud resources.
 M$ is tied to M$ computer desktops and servers as revenue sources.

Cheers,
John S Wolter

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Mark Rousell <
markr-ipcop-user@signal100.com> wrote:

> On 23/10/2011 19:35, Renaud (Ron) Olgiati wrote:
> > Forwarded Message  from another list
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > The Free Software Foundation started a campaign called =93Stand up for =
your
> > freedom to install free software!=94 about Microsoft's plan to enforce
> =93Secure
> > Boot=94 in the installations of Windows 8, which will prevent people fr=
om
> being
> > able to boot into GNU/Linux, one of the BSD variants, or other operating
> > systems.
>
> According to the links you provided there appears to be no such plan or
> intention. Microsoft appears to be doing nothing to prevent users
> booting into any OS they desire.
>
> Microsoft's requirement for Windows 8 certified machines is only for
> Secure Boot to be enabled by default (which I have to say seems very
> sensible and reasonable), not for the the ability to disable Secure Boot
> to be removed.
>
> Thus the concern is entirely about what *hardware* *manufacturers*
> choose to do!
>
> You can sign it here:
> >
> > http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement
> >
> > More information can be found at:
> >

> http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2011/10/fsf-campaign-against-secure-boot.ht=
ml

> It seems that this really is a non-problem in reality. As above, the
> Microsoft Windows 8 hardware certification only requires that Secure
> Boot be enabled *by* *default*. In other words, non-Windows users will
> simply disable Secure Boot on their machines.
>
> If some hardware vendors choose not to provide a way to disable Secure
> Boot (which seems exceptionally unlikely to me except perhaps on
> corporate boxes that would only ever realistically have run Windows
> anyway) then clearly users of OSs without a UEFI digital signature will
> quite simply not buy hardware from those vendors!
>
> In other words, there doesn't seem to be any need or point in a
> petition. There is a real world market-based solution to this
> (potential) problem. Vote with your wallets: Simply buy hardware that
> suits your technical requirements.
>

> --
> Mark Rousell
>
> PGP public key: http://www.signal100.com/markr/pgp
> Key ID: C9C5C162

---
Take a complimentary Learning@Cisco Self-Assessment and learn =

about Cisco certifications, training, and career opportunities. =

http://p.sf.net/sfu/cisco-dev2dev