List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] IPCop and Wireless Internet Access
From:       David W Studeman <dwstudeman () ovi ! com>
Date:       2011-09-08 20:24:52

Johnny wrote:

> With the help of a friend here on the list, here is what I did.
>
> Ipcop box has 3 nic cards. Red, Green and blue.
>
> Blue nic connects to a Linksys 54g wireless router.  The router is set to
> get it's IP from the ipcop box.
>
> Ipcop box is 10.10.2.1 that users DHCP.  I have 10.10.2.3 set on the blue
> give out IP's in the range.  Ipcop box handles green and blue DHCP.
> Also the only way someone can get on my network is when I give them access
> via the blue with their mac address otherwise they are out of luck.
>
> Getting ready to build a 4 nic box with red, green, blue and orange for
> DMZ.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Johnny Miller
> millerj@cinci.rr.com
> gamer tag: wcso845
>
> Lets find a cure for cancer together visit:
> http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org

Before anyone goes further off the chart on a WiFi tangent, the OP is
talking about cellular data to the IPCop machine and then using WiFi in
IPCop to serve to the workstations, yes, IPCop has had this ability since
1.4.18 and 2.0rc1 has the ability to change the flip flop modems we are
deluged with now from the built in usb cdrom to usbserial modem via
usb_modeswitch. For the OP, he would need a USB Cellular Data modem in IPCop
itself and a wiFi bridge to connect to Blue and then connect all the
workstations to Blue. The Huawei E585u-82 is useless for what you want to do
unless it has a usb port where you can connect IPCop directly to the modem
section. I have a backup/test machine I have been running Cellular Data on
for quite some time and I connect to it via blue to stream music or surf
when I feel like using some of my quota.

USB modeswitch is not automated yet so I just added the command to
rc.event.local in 2.0rc1. Here is one session using a T-Mobile Rocket 3
connected to usb 1.1 proving it is backward compatible to such:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1465031221.png
--
Dave
http://www.raqcop.com