List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] brute force clone of existing IPCop box
From:       Jim Jowski <jowski () lavabit ! com>
Date:       2010-06-16 16:51:38

Jim Jowski wrote:
> I need to clone my current IPCop box to another machine.  Both will be
> 1.4.21 boxes and only the Green IP address will be different.  What
> files do I need to roll into a tar ball?  I tried just the 'etc'
> directory but that doesn't seem to be enough.  Restoring a backup onto
> the new box isn't an option.  I can get the tarball from the old box to
> the new one other ways.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim

Believe it or not, doing a fresh load onto the new machine and restoring
from a USB backup of the old one worked well.  I think what I was
originally looking for was along the lines of 'tar cf
/home/httpd/html/old_box.tar /home /etc --exclude
/home/httpd/html/old_box.tar'.  From there I would
'https://oldbox:445/old_box.tar' and save the tarball to a USB stick,
move the stick to the new box, login to the new box, 'cd /', mount the
USB stick, and 'tar xf /mount_location/old_box.tar'.  Finally, I'd run
setup to make any network, driver, address, and password changes that
were necessary and hope for the best.

Thanks for all the responses.  Yes, linux is a buffet of solutions.  :^)

Jim

Words to live by for all of us http://medjugorje.hr/en/

| /~\ The ASCII
| \ / Ribbon Campaign
|  X  Against
| / \ HTML Email

      Political correctness infringes on your First Amendment rights!
      Real patriots don't need a Patriot Act.