List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] ipcop, bot and wireless
From:       "Stefanos E. Tsorakis" <ad.ts () fit ! ac ! cy>
Date:       2010-06-10 20:58:08

For what is worth, we had the same situation but on an academic network.
Students should be only able to connect on the internet and staff should be
able to access other services on the wired network as well.

The solution is quite simple actually. IPCop with RED,GREEN, BLUE and
ORANGE, on the BLUE network the only device listed is the captive portal
machine, which in turn is connected on PoE switches were all 40 access
points are connected from multiple buildings. The captive portal is giving
out IP addresses to the wireless clients and it is configured to use Active
Directory for logons but it could be configured to use local, radius or
other LDAP source for authentication. When anybody, students and staff, are
connected on the wireless they can only access port 80 and 443. If any
member of staff require access on the internal network they have to connect
via OpenVPN and then they have full access.

With this solution you meet your requirements of having a firewall between
BLUE and GREEN and I do not think that having to connect with OpenVPN which
takes a mere few seconds would be such a big problem for your internal
staff.

Hope this helps