List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] need help with VPN tunnels
From:       "G.W. Haywood" <ged () jubileegroup ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-12-19 7:55:15

Hi there,

You seem to have had no response on the list to your original question.
That's probably because nobody else is using such a very old version of
IPCop to do what you're doing.  There might be a good reason for that,
and I'm a little surprised nobody mentioned it. :)

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009  wrote:

> I have a number of IPcop gateways running all talking to each other.
> Most of them are an older yet very stable version of IPcop.

I've never seen an unstable version of IPCop, but your older versions
do suffer from numerous security holes and other issues.  I recommend
that you upgrade them ASAP.

> But new ones are coming online now, and they need to be able to talk
> to each other.  I have tried setting up VPN connections between the
> old (1.4.10) and new (1.4.21) gateways, and almost have it running,
> but not quite.  Does anyone have any tips as to how to make reliable
> VPN tunnels between these two versions of IPcop (1.4.10 and 1.4.21)?

I've never had any great liking for the VPN provided by IPCop itself.
I use OpenVPN, and if you are prevented from upgrading your old IPCops
(I assume that this is because of war, earthquake, or not being able
to book a flight on the next space shuttle:) then in the interim you
could use OpenVPN instead.

I'm on the road for a few (more) days, so I can't easily pick up email
and if you want more information I'm sure others will be able to help.
The OpenVPN documentation is thorough and last time I looked there was
good help available via the OpenVPN user community.  I recommend using
OpenVPN on machines within the firewalled networks, not on IPCop.

--

73,
Ged.