List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] DNS redirection
From:       "Jose Ml Perez" <jmpg22 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-03 14:38:59

Simple!

Switch to OpenDNS
http://www.opendns.com

------Original Message------
From: Administrator
To: ipcop-user@lists.sourceforge.net
ReplyTo: admin@different-perspectives.com
Sent: Dec 3, 2009 10:32 AM

> I wonder if there is a feature that could be added to combat the DNS
> redirection on internal networks which use the IPCop DNS?
>
> A red interface provides a bogus return page on a DNS query, frequently
> pages.  If this return is to a particular location, perhaps this
> location can be cached by the IPCop DNS server and the proper response
> issued, rather than going to the provider's bogus address.

IPCop uses dnsmasq (http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html).  There
is a command line option to do this:

--bogus-nxdomain=<ipaddr>
Transform replies which contain the IP address given into "No such domain"
replies. This is intended to counteract a devious move made by Verisign in
September 2003 when they started returning the address of an advertising web
page in response to queries for unregistered names, instead of the correct
NXDOMAIN response. This option tells dnsmasq to fake the correct response
when it sees this behaviour. As at Sept 2003 the IP address being returned
by Verisign is 64.94.110.11

You'd need to find the place where dnsmasq is started and edit in the
parameter.

David

Jose Ml Perez
Sent from my BlackBerry®