List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    [IPCop-user] EeePC 901 experiment - Mostly successful
From:       Paul Z <copplus () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2009-06-30 15:07:11

For those who might be contemplating trying to put IPCop on an EeePC, I
hope this is helpful.
A buddy had an EeePC 901 he said I could experiment with, so I tried it
and my notes are below.

In summary, I was able to get IPCop installed from a USB thumbdrive to
the internal solid state drive, using the IPCop "usb-fdd" image. The
internal EeePC ethernet NIC will NOT work; you need to use usb NICs for
your network interfaces.

Paul Z

****      EeePC IPCop experiment Notes       ****

Hardware:
PNY Attache 1 GB flashdrive
Linksys USB100M NIC
ASUS EeePC901

Create a bootable install thumbdrive
On My Ubuntu Desktop PC
Thumbdrive mounted as sdc
sudo su -
chmod 777 /dev/sdc
zcat ipcop-1.4.21-install-usb-hdd.i386.img.gz > /dev/sdc
Remove thumbdrive and goto EeePC

On EeePC boot with thumbdrive plugged in.
Change BIOS settings
1st Boot Device   [Removable Dev.]
2nd Boot Device   [USB:USB DISK 2.0]

Boot, and get IPCop install screen
choose CDROM/USB install option
  -- get error message "No CDROM found" reboot only option
*FAILED* Start over

On Ubuntu, try different ipcop image
zcat ipcop-1.4.21-install-usb-fdd.i386.img.gz > /dev/sdc

On EeePC
Boot
Install from CDROM/USB
Works this time!
Installing to /dev/sdc
Detect NIC fails
detect Linksys USB NIC - Green
red is modem/ISDN
Reboot - doesn't come up in ipcop.

Messed around with the bios HDD settings several times.
Finally, it comes up booting to ipcop.

After some googling, atl2 network driver should work for the EeePC
ethernet adapter, and is included with ipcop 1.4.20 & later.
logon to ipcop as root
run setup program
Change Network setup to Green + Red
Select Network Driver for Red
select - Attansic/Atheros atl2 Gigabit
"Unable to load driver Module"
"Probe" also fails to detect Built-in NIC
Fight with it for a while, then give up.
*END EXPERIMENT*

Conclusion IPCop Can work on an EeePC, but only with external USN NICs.
Internal ethernet is useless.