List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] cf card life span?
From:       Bernhard Bitsch <Bernhard.Bitsch () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-06-30 7:44:16

Olaf schrieb:
> Bazooka Joe wrote:
>
>> I have recently been embedding ipcop on cf cards using pcengines boards.
>>
>> I know cf cards don't like writes, but I really like this alternative
>> over building full blown computers to be firewalls.
>>
>> Does anyone know what kind of life you can expect from a cf card? Is
>> this more reliable than a desktop hardware?
>>

> Given some proper care, expect a very, very long lifetime.
> By using mkflash (see Installation Manual) and 1 or 2 additional
> modifications to fcron you reduce the writes to virtually zero.
>
> Since normal disks (especially the 2.5" variety) are not really intended
> to be used 24/7 these will fail at some point.

Just one more advice. Choose CF cards with adequate data rates for
write. My experience is that during writes the card isn't accessible for
reads. Therefore IPCop  sometimes seems unaccessible from the Web GUI or
the shell. If you minimze the writes thats no problem, but if you use an
addon like Update Accelerator it may be an issue.

Bernhard