List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] fit-pc 1.0 on sale.
From:       "Scott" <scott () digital-scape ! net>
Date:       2008-12-30 18:58:04

Eric S. Johansson wrote:
> lists wrote:
>> David Sims wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>   Seems there are different models of this tiny PC... One has two NICs:
>>>
>>> http://www.fit-pc.com/new/fit-pc-1-0-specifications.html
>>>
>>> Dave
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> seems they're talking bout this one -->
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856107036&Tpk=JBC110C91
>>

> doesn't anybody make a small PC that doesn't use the realtek chips?  they
> are
> giving me nothing but grief.  For example, I'm trying to use a peplink
> load-balancing router and, if I go directly to IP cop with a realtek chip,
> throughput is around six to 8 Mb per second.  If I stick and HP switch in
> the
> middle, throughput is 16 to 20 Mb a second.  I suspect its auto
> negotiation
> problems but ethtool does not work
>
> root@ipcop:~ # ethtool -i eth0
> Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported
> root@ipcop:~ # ethtool -i eth1
> Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported
> root@ipcop:~ # ethtool -i eth2
> Cannot get driver information: Operation not supported
> root@ipcop:~ #
>
> driver is r1000
>
> I know those chips are cheaper than dirt but, they are worth less in my
> book.

It would be nice they stop using the RealTek chipsets for the networking
because they do create alot of problems in the Linux/FreeBSD world.  It's
not a problem for me as I would use the D-Link 4 Port NIC card for it
anyway.  I just want the small form factor.

Long as everything else works no biggie for me.