List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] Kernel panic after IpCop 1.4.11 appliance upgrade
From:       "Gilles Espinasse" <g.esp () free ! fr>
Date:       2008-05-20 19:28:43

> Need help with updating IpCop 1.4.11 appliance to 1.4.12.
>
> I downloaded IpCop 1.4.11 appliance from:
> http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/391Imported
> it fine into VMware Workstation 6 and VMware ESX 3.5.
> Re-configured the kernel and updated VMware tools. So far no issues.
> Then, I update IpCop 1.4.11 to 1.4.12 from the https interface. Update
goes fine.

> But when I restart IpCop I get the following error and it restarts in a
loop.
> VFS: Cannot open root device "sda4" or 08:04Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to
mount root fs on
> 08:04
>
> This has been discussed in forums before:
> http://www.ipcops.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10411&hilit=kernel+panic
>
>I really like to use this prebuilt appliance. Please advise on how to
resolve this.

First you should be able to boot with kernel 2.4.31 at after grub boot.
Secondly you should have 1.4.13 installed just after 1.4.12 because it was
the advice displayed on the GUI.

On normal installation (without VMware), kernel 2.4.34 installation is
broken with scsi disk because there was not enought free space available on
/boot for scsi disk ( scsi disk need more space on boot because an initrd is
needed, ide drivers are built-in)

With each kernel supplied, there is 2 flavors installed (the non smp version
to support one cpu only and the smp version to support more than one cpu).
You could recover free space to install 2.4.34 kernel properly by removing
the 2.4.31 kernel flavor you don't use (probably smp version).
If you need to remove smp version , do
rm -i /boot/{vmlinuz,System.map,initrd}-2.4.31-smp

Remove too 2.4.34 kernel as it is not complety installed due to the missing
free space.
rm -i /boot/{vmlinuz,System.map,initrd}-2.4.34*

Reset the version to 1.4.11 with
sed -i -e "s+= '1.4.*$+= '1.4.11';+" /var/ipcop/general-functions.pl

You could now apply 1.4.12 and 1.4.13 updates again.
Then you should check with a reboot that everything work and apply other
updates until 1.4.16

Gilles