List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    [IPCop-user]  HP DL360g5 issues
From:       Gilles Espinasse <g.esp () free ! fr>
Date:       2007-08-24 12:25:18

> I would like to run the latest IPCop release on an HP DL360g5 server,
> however installation fails out because it cannot detect the NIC in this
> machine.
>
> The server has an HP NC373i dual port NIC, and I am curious if anyone
> knows what I need to do to get IPCop working on this machine?

I understand that with some add-ons more powerfull machines could be needed but
IPCop is designed with the goal to re-use old machines.

This allow to use the very stable kernel 2.4 code but may not support brand new
chipsets and drivers.

HP NC373i require bnx2 driver.
Such driver exist for 2.4

The recipe is there to apply on a vanilla kernel.
http://linux.1wt.eu/kernel/patches-2.4.33-wt3/doc/netdrv-bnx2.txt

I have not attempted yet to include this driver.
We can't continue to add new packages without creating more free space on small
disk. I have suggested a setting that allow to install only one kernel (UP or
smp) on those machines with a small disk. This has to be done.

I may be able to do that in the same time we upgrade to 2.4.35 kernel.
I would not be too long but have no time table yet for that.

Gilles