List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    [IPCop-user] High Hard Disk Activity / Swap Temp Resolution
From:       Nicholas Winn <maillist () vacationexpress ! com>
Date:       2006-03-30 16:10:55

I have a ipcop box with the advanced squid proxy, reporting and url
filtering from advproxy.net running. I've noticed after about a week
that performance degrades on the ipcop box partially due to large log
files. I'm running a small company through a single ipcop box (roughly
120 employees). After about a week I am running in swap mode and my hard
disk utlization is up compared to the first two days. When I force a
logrotate everything goes back to normal, so I can only assume that the
problem has to do with large log files. After a week my average log file
is 130-170 megs in size.

To force a log rotate I run logrotate -f /etc/logrotate.conf.

Has anyone else had a simular problem and resolved it a different way?
Please share if you have.

--

Best Regards,

Nicholas Winn
IT Project Manager
Vacation Express

"If you make it idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot" - Taz

"Trial By Fire..." - Myself

"Quite frankly, I found it mostly interesting in a Jerry Springer kind of way. White \
trash battling it out in public, throwing chairs at each other. SCO crying about \
IBM's other women....Fairly entertaining," - Linus Torvalds

"Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of \
Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in \
excess of 100 mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had." - \
Linux Torvalds