List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] MTU value
From:       Kim Wall <kim () ductilebiscuit ! net>
Date:       2005-04-29 21:00:12

Kyle Hutson wrote:
>>Now, while I can easily do this (ifconfig ppp0
>>mtu 1458), is it important to also set eth0's
>>(green) MTU to 1458 along with all of my client
>>PCs connected to green?
>
> According to http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/M/MTU.html (which is on the
> first page of googling for "MTU"), it's not "necessary", but it may
> improve performance.

I'd say it depends on what performance matters to you the most:  If you
want to squeeze every last drop out of your net connection, then setting
the MTU on all your clients to avoid fragmentation makes sense.  If you
want the maximum performance between hosts on your LAN, then set them to
1500.

Presumably using the proxy on IPCop lets you have the best of both
worlds (for http/ftp at least), as it would make its own outgoing
connections with ppp0's MTU, but use eth0's when talking to local
machines, no packet-level fragmentation needed?

kim.