List:       ipcop-user
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-user] Minimum hardware for IPCop
From:       Steve Garcia <sgarcia () bak ! rr ! com>
Date:       2003-09-30 4:23:28

jackb@guppy.us wrote:

>>My guess is that you're right. This is one of the old, original Intel
>>motherboards that came out when the Pentium was new.
>>

>My first though is to check for a bios upgrade.

Pretty sure that it's as up to date as it's ever going to get. I know
for certain that this machine did have a buggy IDE -- I had to track
down a BIOS update in late 94, early 95 to be able to put a 1G drive in
it. It had serious IDE issues. I kept an eye out for even later BIOSes
for a couple more years, but that was the last update I ever saw. I'm
certain there isn't anything newer. Intel Neptune motherboard.

>About old machines... I have done 1.3 on both 386 and 486.  Never
>seen an issue with a motherboard.  But with a promise IDE controller,
>I have.  But switching back to the motherboards IDE and pulling the
>card... all is better.
>
>What other IO cards are in this machine?

Nothing but essentials. A pretty basic SVGA card (Diamond Stealth maybe?
Weitek chipset for sure.) A couple of 3com cards, one PCI, one ISA. A
D-Link that uses a Realtek chipset -- it was going to be my Orange
interface but IPCop 0.1.1 didn't support it. 1.3 recognized it, but it
doesn't do me any good so far :( That's it.

IPCop 0.1.1 recognizes that it's a buggy IDE, but it works with it
anyway. From /proc/pci on the running system:

IDE interface: PCTECH RZ1000 (buggy) (rev 1).
Fast devsel.
I/O at 0x1f0 [0x1f1].
I/O at 0x3f4 [0x3f5].

I wonder if it would be useful to put an IDE card of some sort it. I
might even have one floating around....