List:       ipcop-devel
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-devel] Memory leaks in Kernel 2.6.32.28
From:       Gilles Espinasse <g.esp () free ! fr>
Date:       2011-02-11 12:18:34

Selon John Edwards <john@cornerstonelinux.co.uk>:

> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:04:25AM +0100, karesmakro wrote:
> > Hello there,
> > I know, the copfilter project is not appreciated very well! But this
> > problem do not belong only to copfilter, it's a common problem. I
> > noticed on applications, which uses much of memory (e.g. clamav), that
> > the memory is growing from day to day. I also noticed, if the
> > applications are restarted, the memory is not freeing (only a small part)
> > So my Cop was running 3 weeks and I had 56MB swapped space (with 1GB
> > RAM) and was growing.
>

> 56MB swap is not unusual. Things are not being used (eg spare login
> consoles) are swapped out to make way for more cache:
> 	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_leak#Other_memory_consumers

That's true.
You may have a small swap usage without leak when the system prefer to have more
disk cache and free a bit of memory to swap.

Anyway, to track kernel memory leak, the appropriate way should be to change
kernel config to add CONFIG_DEBUG_KMEMLEAK and CONFIG_DEBUGFS, recompile the
kernel and follow kmemleak usage.

Gilles