List:       ipcop-devel
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-devel] re: 2.4 kernel
From:       Mark Wormgoor <mark () wormgoor ! com>
Date:       2003-01-29 7:47:10

Hi,

> With the talk going about (well, that little talk there is anywho),
> might I bring up holding off on the upgrade until the 2.6 release of
> the kernel is out?
>
> Yes, it will most likely have slightly higher minimum system
> requirements and yes, it may be about a year before the 2.5 kernel is
> considered stable, but the speed improvements that are present with the
> newer kernels are phenomenal.  I really think it would be worth the
> wait on this one.

No, we're not going to wait ;)
The 2.2 kernel is getting outdated quickly and the 2.4 kernels have
finally become stable without major bugs or issues (except for the ext3 bug).

The networking in 2.4 gives us so much possibilities over 2.2 that we
can't let it lay around for so long.  Besides, if you look at how long it
took for 2.4 to become stable after 2.4.1, a stable 2.6 may even be 1,5
years away.

Kind regards,

Mark Wormgoor
* |\    /|      |  /|  /       Mark Wormgoor                  *
* | \  / |      | / | /        mailto:mark@wormgoor.com       *
* |  \/  |ark   |/  |/ormgoor  http://www.wormgoor.com/mark/  *