List:       ipcop-devel
Subject:    [IPCop-devel] Testing of 0.0.9
From:       Gene Cooper <gcooper () SonoraComm ! COM>
Date:       2001-12-31 2:30:04

Hi!

Thanks, thanks, thanks!

After having a (ridiculous) e-mail conversation with Richard Morrell
fairly recently, and having been excited about Smoothwall 0.9.9, I'm
VERY happy to see IPcop in action.

Please _do_not_ view the following as unconstructive criticism!  ...and
I will help in any way I can!

As if you haven't enough commentary from the peanut gallery, ;>) ,
here's more...

I have been evaluating various firewalls of late...due to frustrations
with RM.

I downloaded the .iso today (12/30/01) and used that.

I have built three test boxes; all of similar configuration.  I used a
pair of D-Link (RTL8139) NICs in the first and a pair of Intel Pro 100s
in the second (82557) while testing IPcop.  Both were Intel 233MMX
Pentium, 48MB and 80MB of RAM.

Network Config:

Internet <---> ISDN_Router <--DMZ--> IPcop <---> Internal_LAN

DMZ = Static IPs 198.182.115.32/29
Int_LAN = 192.168.1.0/24
ISDN_Router = DOD = 198.182.115.33
Production Firewall = Smoothwall 0.9.9 = 198.182.115.38

I swapped out my production firewall and noted these problems:

Main Page:
	No link to IPcop web site ;-)

Information Panel:
	dhcpd running/working but panel shows stopped

Services Panel:
	Enabling Transparent Web Proxy caused Internet connection to
fail!

Updates Panel:
	"Could not download the available updates list."

IDS Panel:
	Enabling Snort doesn't seem to work.  No daemon, no log.

Can I help with further testing?  Need any more info from me?

THANKS AGAIN!

Gene Cooper
Sonora Communications, Inc.
5531 N. Oracle Road