List:       ipcop-devel
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-devel] IPCop v0.0.9 release  - Installation procedures
From:       antispam2eastcomp () gmx ! de
Date:       2001-12-29 11:51:35

Hi,

some comments on installation procedures:

The installation procedure of SW (probably ipcop, too - but I didn't
check it up to now)  offers two options: installation from a local
CDROM or via http: (using wget to retrieve the ISO image from a
remote web server).

- The first option requires an (at least temporarily) installed local
CDROM drive and to burn a CD from the ISO image. Both of this
prerequisites are often src of errors, as could be seen from multiple
mailings in the SW mailing list. Besides, it requires that the user
HAS a surplus CDROM and a CD burner - which not all potential
users do have.

very time consuming and may fail, if the Internet connection is not
stable. Also, there seems to be just a mechanism to check the
checksum, but there is no mechanism to check any signatures, so
the identity of the downloaded ISO image may be unsure, unless
the md5 checksum is "totally" safe (I don't much about the security
of the md5 checksum, maybe some list member could tell more..)

To optimize the installation procedure I'd suggest:

1. Downloading of the ISO image should be available through a
HTTPS connection.

2. The identity of the downloaded ISO image should not only be
checked by a checksum but also through a signature, if md5 isn't
safe enough.

3. The  md5 checksum test (and signature test, if necessary)
should be obligatory (could be achieved by some additional UI)

4. As an additional installation way, I'd suggest downloading from a
local ftp-server (AFAIK wget supports ftp, too) during installation .
There are some free ftp servers (Windows et al.) available, which
could be temporarily installed on a local (client) PC. Thus burning a
CDROM wouldn't be necessary any more.
Updates could be also applied via the local ftp-server (this could
also replace the HTTP update mechanism of SW - which is nothing
be a means to make users dependable from RM and his server)

I'm looking forward to hear some comments.

Ludwig