List:       ipcop-devel
Subject:    Re: [IPCop-devel] Website questions/features?
From:       "Mark Wormgoor" <mark () wormgoor ! com>
Date:       2001-12-28 15:44:29

Guys,

> >Also, no one has sent any kind of a look and feel for the web interface
of
> >IpCop.  Until I get that, working on the rest of the site is kind of
> >pointless.
>
> I'm hoping that by new years I will have a prototype Web interface
template
> that we can use for IP cop in the future.  Right now we are stuck with the
> fundamental layout and all we can change are images and colors.  If you
> want to delay releasing 0.1 IP cop then we need to make a conscious
> decision and assign no more than two people to the task of developing this
> new interface.  If we do, I want to be one of those people because I have
> some serious changes I want to make.

Just hold on for another hour (I hope) and wait for a very, very exciting
e-mail :-)
You will not be bored this weekend.

> > > DISCLAIMER #2:
> > > I think SourceForge may actually have already used/hacked Phorum in
> > > the above way...  Why exactly do we not want to use their existing
> > > Forums?...  The admin of Phorum can move/kill/edit whatever
> > > threads/pages they feel the need to.
> >
> >It's a keep our own data, be able to use it in FAQ's, be able to move it,
> >etc sort of thing.  In short, more options.
>
> between twiki and mailing lists you don't need forums.  The FAQ can be
(and
> should be) a twiki document.  I am moving my VPN how to into twiki as soon
> as possible.  I highly recommend that others learn how it works and work
> with it.

Ok, here's my view on this.  We don't need forums and a mailinglist, if:
-) We have a good FAQ maintainer and the FAQ is updated very regularly
-) We have good searchable archives for our mailinglists.  On this issue;
geocrawler will never do.  Even if they start archiving the mailinglists
(they haven't done so until now; have not had any response to my support
request either), the search engine sucks and will not return the mails
you'dd expect.

Kind regards,

        Mark Wormgoor