List:       ipchains-list
Subject:    Re: some ports are open
From:       John Sage <jsage () finchhaven ! com>
Date:       2001-02-16 3:48:38

The real question might be "What are you trying to accomplish?"

Ports can be closed via ipchains, as in:

# INPUT: DENY udp packets for ports < 1023
ipchains -A input -i $extint -p udp --dport :1023 -l -j DENY
# Rule 37
# INPUT: DENY tcp packets for ports < 1023 but not SYN's
ipchains -A input -i $extint -p tcp --dport :1023 ! -y -l -j DENY
# Rule 38

In this case, I'm DENY'ing the ports < 1023 on my external interface,
but the box itself is still running services on some of these ports that
are available to boxes internal to my LAN.

As someone else mentioned, you can also kill a service itself if you
don't need it. Well-known services run on specific ports.

- John

--
John Sage
FinchHaven, Vashon Island, WA, USA