List:       ipchains-list
Subject:    RE: Messenger services
From:       "Paul Hanson" <hansonp () home ! com>
Date:       2000-12-28 7:00:01

my $.02

ICQ uses login.icq.com (205.188.5.204) to verify each user's credentials
(etc, etc).  As for the ports, mine is using 5190 at home, 2xxx-something at
work, so blocking ports may not be as effective IMO.  I also ran the
"auto-configure" option, it set my port to 31875. (but the login.icq.com
remained the same).

It's dynamic crap stems from a couple of settings in the Owner Preferences
where the user's can select whether or not they are behind a firewall,
and/or using a proxy.  It's here that I think it sets its ports for
connection after it authenticates.

-Paul