List:       ipchains-list
Subject:    Re: Insertion & deletion of rules
From:       "Chad M. Stewart" <cms () Philologer ! com>
Date:       2000-12-26 13:21:05

Chris,

To automate something like this you need to write a script or scripts to
accomplish this.  Probably one script that gets passed an argument, either
on or off for example, and then either inserts or removes the rule in question.

crond is the process run by the system that performs actions on behalf of
the users.  crontab is what the users use to setup/edit/remove their cron
entries.  man crontab.

This particular script would have to run as root, therefore you'd have to
put it in the crontab for the root user.

-Chad-

At 11:52 AM 12/26/2000 +0200, Chris Williamson wrote:
>Hi all
>
>I know this is a little of the subject...
>
>I want to put in an ipchains rule at a 7PM and remove it again at 8AM, I
>know how to enter and remove the rule manually (ipchains -I blah blah blah
>& ipchains -D blah blah blah) but am not sure how to automate it.
>Would I use cron, crontab or something else?
>

>Thanks
>Chris Williamson

                                                  _\|/_
                                                  (o o)

"...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good,
the Bad, and the Ugly)."  (By Matt Welsh)