List:       ipchains-list
Subject:    Re: [IPChains]  [IPChains] DHCP problem or else.
From:       "Chad M. Stewart" <cms () balius ! com>
Date:       2002-06-21 14:08:59

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 09:52, Sebastian Raposo MorenA wrote:

> I ve RedHat 6 with IpChains as a firewall. I used to have a dedicated line
> with a Static Ip.
> Now I have cablemodem also with a Static IP, but I can't set it up as Static
> IP in netconf.

I'm guessing that your provider simply setup their DHCP server to always
give your MAC address the same IP.  If that is the case then you should
be able to configure your machine with that IP as a static entry.  This
is how my setup works.

> If I use DHCP it take the same IP address always, so I can config the rules
> Ipchains without problems.
> The problem starts suddenly when the linux stop working, I dont know why,

guessing that since your machine is using DHCP your system could not
renew its lease and thus lost its IP.  It could not renew due to your
firewall setup.  Just a guess.

> and when I restart the linx I need to set up the rules again to make it
> work. Where can I find the logs?

By default you'll find IPChains specific entries in /var/log/messages.

-cms