List:       ipchains-list
Subject:    Re: [IPChains]  Can i get all ipchains logs into aseperate	logfile(not
From:       raf <raf () raf ! org>
Date:       2002-06-18 0:22:50

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-14 at 10:15, Stuart Otway wrote:
>
> > in my config there is definitley not a line logging it to the console,
>
> I agree. Not sure what's going wrong here.

remember that klogd gets these messages before they reach syslogd.
in your /etc/init.d/syslog (or equivalent), look for the klogd
command and add "-c 4". the number 4 means only log messages of
priority > 4 (i.e. err, crit, alert, emerg). man klogd for details.

> > # Log all kernel messages to the console.
> > # Logging much else clutters up the screen.
> > kern.*                                                 /var/log/ipchains
>
> Note that this sends *all* kernel messages to a file named "ipchains". I
> use /var/log/kernel as it's more descriptive.

if you want ipchains messages in a separate file, you can let syslog
put all kernel messages in /var/log/kernel and then use something like
swatch to watch that log file for ipchains messages and put them
in a separate file as they appear.

> > # Everybody gets emergency messages
> > *.emerg                                                 *
>
> This is the only thing that should show up on the console, and should be
> pretty rare. It uses the wall system to write to all terminals.
>
> Try restarting the syslog service ("service syslog restart") and then
> immediately look in the recently-touched log files to see what happened.
> Verify that the service indeed restarted and that it liked the config
> file.

raf