List:       ipaq
Subject:    [iPAQ] Restoring Pocket Pc boot loader
From:       Vangel Attila <vangel.attila () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2005-12-19 16:14:12

Hi,

I needed to restore wince for a hp ipaq 5550.
I followed the procedure at:
http://handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/RestoringPocketPc
which page I found at
http://handhelds.org/projects/wincerestoration.html

The image was lost by another person, so I used the
recommended image:

http://handhelds.org/download/feeds/wince/h55xx/h5500_image.gz

It worked great thanks for the document you guys wrote. But
with the bootldr in it HP updates does not seem to install
(it reboots the device first and I think it would like to
connect with its own bootloader via USB). So I would like to
restore the proprietary bootloader as well.
I am not sure how to restore the boot loader from the
abovementioned image and I am afraid to lose the device.
Perhaps I should gunzip h5500_image.gz and take the first x
bytes and gzip it and use that as saved_bootldr.gz?

I see that for 5400 it is 256KB (262144 bytes). But looking
at the wince_image for 55xx the "garbage" does not seem to
stop at 256 KB. So I am confused.

I would appreciate your help.

Attila