List:       ipaq
Subject:    Re: [iPAQ] Danger into updating bootloader
From:       Paul Eggleton <paule () handhelds ! org>
Date:       2005-12-10 1:52:15

On Thursday 08 December 2005 06:05, Ivan Barrera A. wrote:
> I recently got an ipaq h5555, and want to try linux there.
> However, i've read in many places people who killed their ipaq when
> doing this (connected to AC power).

Well, I've reflashed the bootloader in two iPAQs (h3900 and h3800) a few times
each and reflashed the OS many times and haven't had any issues. Just make
sure you verify the image before you flash, have a decent serial
cable/cradle, and don't disturb anything while it is flashing.

> Is that easy to kill the ipaq? if this happens, is there a way to
> recover it ? (i guess the chip that contains the bootloader isn't easy
> to take off and reprogram).

There is a way but as you suspect it is not easy. It involves disassembling
the unit, building a special cable to connect to an interface on the board
(JTAG) and flashing the device directly using a piece of software - not for
the faint of heart, but not impossible. There are companies out there that
can do this for you, but not for free of course. At one time there were some
people at Compaq who would do it for free as a favour but I'm not sure if
that offer still applies.

> Ah, another one.. i dont like the picture on the bootloader. Can be
> changed ? :)

Not unless you want to recompile the bootloader and then take the risk that
your new version won't work when you flash it on. Honestly, in daily use you
shouldn't be seeing the bootloader very often so it's probably not worth the
effort :)

Cheers,
Paul