List:       ion
Subject:    Re: What became of the Xft drawing engine?
From:       Tom Payne <ion () tompayne ! org>
Date:       2004-05-21 21:44:24

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 11:19:12PM +0200, Felix Breuer wrote:
> What became of the Xft drawing engine? Where can I get it? With what
> version of ion does it work? Is it going to be distributed with ion
> sometime in the future?

The most recent release of the patch works with ion2 version 20040211, but
not 20040411 (the latest).

You can download it from, for example:

http://www.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/x11-wm/ion2/files/xftde-20040207.patch

Choose the download link.

This patch certainly isn't going to be distributed with Ion. Tuomo has added
some hooks into the default drawing engine that allows the xftde to work
"properly" (i.e. just overriding the font drawing stuff, not providing a
full drawing engine). I started to write a new xftde based on this, but ran
into some problems and have been distracted since. The code is attached, but
doesn't work: I think I've implemented too much functionality in some areas
and not enough in others!

Regards,
--
Tom

["xftde-broken-20040521.tar.gz" (application/x-tar-gz)]