List:       intrusions
Subject:    the machine that nobody cares about
From:       Jim Howard <Jim.Howard () abcv ! com>
Date:       2002-01-31 22:10:39

Hello folks,

I have tried in VAIN over the last month to get through to the people that
run a machine at 207.79.223.201.  This machine is located in Peru, and in
infected in a bad way.  I have been unable, in 3 attempts, to find anyone
that will take the responsibility for this machine, to fix it, shut it down,
or otherwise terminate it's constant spewing of virii.  I have mailed every
contact in the whois database for this IP, abuse@ addresses, etc.

I have had machines take a long time to go off the net (a week or two), but
never before have I seen a machine that has been constantly spewing 24x7
without anyone noticing (except me?), and fixing it.

I realize I can block it in my gateway router, but that doesn't solve the
issue.  It just hides it.  While that may be my only option, I wantd to
throw this to the list, as I don't like ignoring problems and hoping they go
away.

Does anyone have ANY ideas on how else to approach this?

Just a little more info... I have had problems with this ISP before...
I checked my sent mail folder, and found messages with the following dates,
with no response:

10/12/2001
11/2/2001
1/2/2002
1/8/2002
1/16/2002

today is 1/30/2002, and my logs continue to show 7000+ hits per day from
this host.

Thanks much,
Jim