List:       intrusions
Subject:    mskeye.exe followup
From:       "Patrick Nolan" <pnolan01 () nycap ! rr ! com>
Date:       2001-12-29 20:42:00

Hi,

Thank you Chris, Roberto and Bob for your input.

FWIW this " hack", named after a legitimate MS IntelliPoint exe file, =
is, according to a Win32 programmer who is not a hacker, a program that =
"seems to open a IRC connection and wait for a call".

There are no results found when searching for "mskey" or "mskey.exe" on =
Symantec, commandcom.com, ca.com, F-Secure, and antivirus.com.

The only english language non-Microsoft reference I found to mskey was =
as a file that is included when you purchase the "Super Hackers 2" cd =
at;
http://www.cdlegal.hpg.ig.com.br/00110014.htm

I note I could not read the context of references to mskey on more than =
a few Korean, German, Dutch and Chinese sites that were not dedicated to =
improving IntelliPoint problem resolution ( : ^ ).

It is not recognized as a virus or trojan by current definitions of a =
number of products.

Anyone who has done previous incidents.org analysis of these types of =
programs that's interested in taking a look at it feel free to e-mail =
me.

Pat