List:       intermezzo-discuss
Subject:    status update
From:       "Peter J. Braam" <braam () cs ! cmu ! edu>
Date:       1999-09-09 15:48:20

Hi,

I just thought I should give everyone a status update.

Phil Schwan has gone to the Puffin Group -- as a result things are going a
lot slower now! The last thing Phil accomplished was to get the server to
reliably handle a few dozen clients; things like 20 concurrent fetches
worked quite reliably.

Our main outstanding issues before we have a real release are the following:

- put the CML entries in a disk database
- write ifsck, and the supporting kernel code
- fix a nasty bug for Linux 2.3
- get rudimentary conflict handling

I'm working on these 3 issues, but things are slow.

Other important things that need to be addressed are:

- hooks for SSL sockets
- performance of POE (our ping latency is 40 - 100 ms, a factor 10 too high)
- external file transporters, such as rsync or multicast tools
- testing, testing, testing

I'll make a new snapshot next week, when I've solved the Linux 2.3 problems.

- Peter -