List:       intermezzo-discuss
Subject:    Misc issues/questions about Inter(sync|mezzo)
From:       Karri Niskala <kniskala () creanor ! com>
Date:       2002-09-08 12:40:38

 Hi everyone

I've been playing around with the intermezzo filesystem a bit
lately and there are a few questions I hope someone could answer.

As I am testing the intermezzo with small filesystems
 I see the growth of the kml file as bit of a problem as
 it chews away the valuable space I'd like to have for
 actual data. This problem also manifests itself when
 the file system is getting full and I have had problems
 ranging from the intermezzo kernel module segfaulting
 to being unable to delete files/directories from the
 filesystem as I get a 'filesystem full' (or similar...
 can't remember the exact error at the moment. :( )
 error.
So is intermezzo only usable on big filesystems or are there
 some features/functionality just not yet implemented which
 address these problems (other than syncing all clients
 manually now and then and truncating the kml and last_rcvd
 files)?

  I've been trying to get intersync to use SSL
tunnels with moderate success and was wondering if anyone
has succeeded in getting intersync to encrypt the network
traffic (possibly even authenticating the peers with
certificates)?
 Also I was wondering as libcurl seems to have SSL support
more or less 'out of the box' is there going to be real SSL
support in intersync at some point (anytime soon? :)

 What is the status of support for JFFS2 filesystem? I
 noticed some entries in the 'Intermezzo: File synchronization
 with Intersync' whitepaper addressing issues with JFFS2
 but have not noticed anything related to JFFS2 in the sources.

 The developement seems to have been quite quiet lately
 (not much happened since April/May) so I was wondering
 are people still actively developing Intermezzo/Intersync
 or why has it been so quiet? :(

 Thanks in advance to anyone who can enlighten me on any/some
 of these subjects. :)
 -Karri Niskala

 P.S.
 My test environment is a laptop  acting as a server and
 another laptop and a Compaq Ipaq (running Familiar-0.6pre1)
 acting as clients. All of the hosts have the intermezzo filesystem
 on loopback devices as I don't have extra partitions available.

 I am using the intersync-0.9.4.tar.gz source distribution.