List:       intermezzo-discuss
Subject:    Re: trying to install intersync-0.9.4
From:       andreas.koenig () anima ! de (Andreas J !  Koenig)
Date:       2002-07-21 19:14:36

  > I would consider it developer-only, yes.  As far as documentation,
  > however, it's very up-to-date; the InterSync-HOWTO has been modified
  > whenever a major configuration change has been made.  The
  > InterMezzo-HOWTO should probably be dropped from izo-cvs..

The following list are my recommended changes to InterSync-HOWTO. This
is more than absolutely needed, but as far as I can see, every
paragraph contains a gotcha that I have been trapped in:

Eliminate all references to ghttp.

Clarify the status of /var/log/intersync/. I do not get any logfile
there.

Clarify prerequisites: mention required version of e2fsprogs, probably
mention that e2fsprogs must be installed with 'make install-libs', not
with 'make install'; mention curl, glib, lyx, all with the recommended
or required versions. Without lyx, the installation doesn't succeed.
Mention that an apache httpd must be in the path.

Speak about the need to have a user "intermezzo" that belongs to the
group "intermezzo".

Tell people that the current linux kernel must be built *without*
intermezzo support. Otherwise it doesn't seem to work.

Tell the user what the --enable-linuxdir option tries to achieve and
clarify if it is necessary at all. I have the impression it's a noop
if you have the correct /usr/src/linux, which is required anyway.

Correct from which directory you must run the 'make install'. It is
not enough to run it in the fs24 directory, it must be run from the
izo/ directory.

Mention discrepancy between 'rl_compentry_func_t' and 'CPFunction *'.
This has been deatl with on the mailing list.

Correct the mention of 'profile'. It should be 'config'.

Explain what rootfset is. What does it stand for? Where is it
necessary? Eliminate all mention of the mtpt option, it doesn't work
anymore. Is prestodev still a necessary option?

I don't recall: is depmod -a necessary? Is modprobe intermezzo
necessary? Is ldconfig -v necessary after compiling the prerequisite
glib?

Explain when to use a loop device and when to use a partition.

Unify the examples to always use the same mount point, not sometimes
/izo0, sometimes /mnt/izo0, and sometime /exports/server.

Mention mkizofs on a more prominent place.

Eliminate the symlink suggestion to /var/intermezzo/cache. This is
taken care of automatically.

Explain how the shutdown of intermezzo is considered to be done. I
usually can only kill -9 the intersync processes and often must kill
the httpd processes separately.

Let us know how to go about trouble shooting. What should I do if
intersync refuses to run with something like "possible conflict,
cannot proceed". (I forgot the exact error message). Same for more
than one of the possible errors.

--------

That's all I have so far. Hope that helps you spot the most urgent
needs.

Thanks,
--
andreas