List:       intermezzo-discuss
Subject:    Re: intersync-intermezzo relationship
From:       Robert Read <rread () computer ! org>
Date:       2002-05-03 18:24:08

Hi,

Intersync is the user space daemon that synchronizes two intermezzo
filesystems.  It is possible to use an intermezzo filesystem without
intersync, and this would be done if replication is not needed or
temporarily not possible, for example on a laptop.  The changes made to the
filesystem will be logged, however, so that replication can continue when
intersync is restarted.  It is not yet possible to use intersync without
intermezzo, although that would be an interesting future enhancement.  If
you are interested in more details on how intersync interacts with
intermezzo, then I suggest this document:
http://inter-mezzo.org/docs/intersync.pdf

The current source for the intermezzo kernel module is, as of version 0.9.3,
included in the intersync rpm, and it is best to use that version of the
module when using the intersync rpm.

Robert