List:       intermezzo-devel
Subject:    Re: Secure connections and intermezzo
From:       "Shirish H. Phatak" <shirish () nustorage ! com>
Date:       2000-12-28 0:30:56

Hi,

Peter Braam wrote:

> Hi Shirish,
>
> I think that you should check if stunnel is tcp based.  The problem with tcp
> based tunnels running tcp connections in explained on the CIPE WWW site and
> leads to nasty quality degradations.  It relates to two levels of flow
> control and congestion avoidance. With UDP, which stunnel now supports, you
> should be OK.

 The stunnel we are using is TCP based, I could not find any UDP variant; I am
probably missing something. IMHO, the cipe problem does not apply directly to
our port forwarding setup. In this setup we are using port forwarding so
effectively three connections are being pipelined:

      Local TCP1             WAN TCP               Local TCP2
client <--> stunnel client<--> stunnel server <--> file server

What I do know of this setup from our dataman lab experiments is that there
might still be some problems with the local tcp throttling but that should not
lead to significant performance problems. The cipe scenario appears to apply
only when we run a VPN over ssh where raw ip traffic is forwarded over the
tunnel so the tcps are effectively stacked

                                         top tcp

^
^
     |---pppd <--> ssh<-----> sshd <---> pppd---|
                  IP to data     bottom tcp      data to IP

 The second setup gives true vpn capabilities since you actually have
addressable end points in the setup, but you pay by having stacked tcp's.
However with intermezzo the ports are fixed so we don't need this, I just bind
to local ip addresses at both server and client.

-Shirish