List:       intermezzo-devel
Subject:    Re: Permit hangs
From:       "Shirish H. Phatak" <shirish () nustorage ! com>
Date:       2000-12-27 14:45:21

Hi,

"Peter J. Braam" wrote:

> Hi Shirish,
>
> If I have a client that wants a permit (in the make play test
> environment) and the server dies or becomes unreachable then the client
> hangs on this call - Lento keeps retrying to connect to the server and get
> the permit.

 You have permit stealing disabled. To enable it you need to set PERMIT=0 in
intermezzo/tests/test_configs/test_env. Of course with permit stealing
enabled there is no conflict resolution yet, so lentos may die indicating
possible conflict.

> I think that it is time that we really define precisely the behavior that
> we want from permits.  This may be quite good under some circumstances,
> but not under others (laptops eg).
>
> Can you write up what you know about this?

 This is just a consquence of setting no_permit_steal to 1 in voldb/fsetdb.
For laptops you can set this to 0 to get the desired behaviour.

-Shirish