List:       intermezzo-devel
Subject:    old fset name won't go away?
From:       Adrian Hosey <ahosey () kiva ! net>
Date:       2002-05-24 21:34:37

This has got to be the most bizarre thing I've seen yet. I created an
intermezzo fileset called "imapstore" with this command:

~# mkizofs -r imapstore -j /dev/sda1

and then in the course of testing I was having trouble with intersync
writing "rootfset" into the .intermezzo/config file instead of
"imapstore." So I thought okay, I'll just call the fileset rootfset for
now and deal with that problem later. I shut down intersync, unmounted the
filesystem, and ran:

~# mkizofs -r rootfset -j /dev/sda1

I remount the filesystem, and even before restarting intersync, the ghost
of imapstore somehow persists:

[root@ruthless .intermezzo]$ ls -la
total 16
drwx------    4 intermez intermez     4096 May 24 16:15 .
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         4096 May 24 16:15 ..
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 May 24 16:15 imapstore
drwx--S---    2 intermez intermez     4096 May 24 16:13 rootfset

Out of curiosity I unmounted the filesystem, formatted it as ext2 and
remounted it. It's empty except for lost+found. Umount, run mkizofs with
rootfset as the label, remount. imapstore is back again! And further, it's
got something in it:

[root@ruthless imapstore]$ ls -l
total 4
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 May 24 16:15 kml
-rw-------    1 root     root           56 May 24 16:15 last_rcvd
-rw-------    1 root     root            0 May 24 16:15 lml
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            5 May 24 16:15 ROOT -> ../..

I have a suspicion that the kernel module still has data in it for
imapstore, and so tries to write that data out as soon as I remount the
filesytem. Is that possible? I've rebooted the machine twice though, so
maybe it's something else.

--
Adrian Hosey
Tetsujin, Kiva Networking