List:       intermezzo-devel
Subject:    RE: InterMezzo/support for filtering
From:       Luka Renko <luka.renko () hermes ! si>
Date:       2001-11-07 21:42:34

> Umm... So why don't you create your own fs, mount it over the
> subtree in question and have its objects refer to objects
> from underlying filesystem(s)?

Al, that is interesting idea. If I understand it correctly, you propose
something like:
mount -t ext2 /dev/md0 /mnt/disk
mount -t hsmfs nodev /mnt/disk

I have to say that currently I do not understand VFS internals well enough
to understand how then upper FS would access the data of the bottom file
system (the file system that upper FS operlaps). For example, how would
hsmfs's inode->lookup() do actual ext2's inode->lookup? Is this something
that is doable in now (in 2.4)?

I have somehow thought that all inodes that are overlaped are not accesible
at all (since they are not accesibale from user space).

I will look more into it, because I really like your proposed way of
stacking file systems on each other (is is clean and simple) - I just need
to understand if it works for me.

Regards,
Luka