List:       interchange-users
Subject:    [ic] old style mysql password
From:       "J van Dijk 'BV Kunststoffenindustrie Attema'" <j.vandijk () attema ! nl>
Date:       2005-01-31 10:46:11

Hello all,

We use ic5.3.0 and MySQL 4.1.9 (client and server).
The command 'bin/makecat' could create a database, no errors were seen.
When (re)starting ic, the message
"Client does not support authentication protocol requested
by server; consider upgrading MySQL client" was given and the catalog didn't start.
I could see that ic was trying to connect the database to create tables an data, but \
didn't seem to have the right privileges. Changing the password in mysql with the \
'old_password'  option solved this problem. mysql> set password for interch@localhost \
= old_password('interch');

Quoting MySQL:
"MySQL 4.1 and up uses an authentication protocol based on a password hashing \
algorithm that is incompatible with that used by older clients. "

Hope this can be of any help to you.
Jan.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Jan van Dijk