List:       insight-users
Subject:    Re: [Insight-users] Compile issues with ITK - itkNumericTraits.h
From:       Luis Ibanez <luis.ibanez () kitware ! com>
Date:       2004-11-28 2:32:26

Hi Stefan,

We were hoping to get this done for the next release,
in February 2005, but it is somehow tied to how many
users are actually requiring gcc-3.4.

   Regards,

      Luis

-----------------------
Stefan Engström wrote:

> [...]
> recent gnu compilers, do you know what the approximate timeframe is?
>
> All the best,
>
> Stefan Engstrom
>
> Luis Ibanez wrote:
>

>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> ITK has not been fully adapted for GCC 3.4.
>>
>> Many of the default behaviors related to templates have been
>> changed between GCC 3.4 and GCC 3.3.
>>

>>            Please use GCC 3.3, or 3.2
>>

>> Regards,
>>

>>    Luis
>>

>> -----------------
>> Stefan wrote:
>>
>>> I had a working copy of ITK 1.8.1 last week on a machine running SuSE
>>> 9.1. Unfortunately its main hard drive crashed and I installed Fedora
>>> Core 3 on the new setup instead. As I try to compile ITK from the
>>> same source (1.8.1), I run into some interesting-looking compile-time
>>> issues. Trying the CVS source instead, I still have compile-time
>>> trouble, but in a different place this time. Here is the complaint
>>> from the compiler for the current CVS source (as of Nov 24, 5 pm CST).
>>>
>>> === final lines from top-level make ===
>>> cmake.depends is up-to-date
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight-bin/Code/Numerics: building default_target
>>> Building object file itkAmoebaOptimizer.o...
>>> In file included from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkSingleValuedCostFunction.h:23,
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkSingleValuedNonLinearOptimizer.h:21,
>>>
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkSingleValuedNonLinearVnlOptimizer.h:20,
>>>
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.h:20,
>>>                 from
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.cxx:20:
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h: In static
>>> member function `static T itk::NumericTraits<T>::NonpositiveMin()':
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h:61: error:
>>> there are no arguments to `min' that depend on a template parameter,
>>> so a declaration of `min' must be available
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkNumericTraits.h:61: error:
>>> (if you use `-fpermissive', G++ will accept your code, but allowing
>>> the use of an undeclared name is deprecated)
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkEventObject.h: In member
>>> function `virtual void itk::AmoebaOptimizer::StartOptimization()':
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkEventObject.h:137: error:
>>> `itk::StartEvent::StartEvent(const itk::StartEvent&)' is private
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.cxx:188:
>>> error: within this context
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Common/itkEventObject.h:138: error:
>>> `itk::EndEvent::EndEvent(const itk::EndEvent&)' is private
>>> /home/stefan/src/Insight/Code/Numerics/itkAmoebaOptimizer.cxx:226:
>>> error: within this context
>>> make[5]: *** [itkAmoebaOptimizer.o] Error 1
>>> make[4]: *** [default_target] Error 2
>>> make[3]: *** [default_target_Numerics] Error 2
>>> make[2]: *** [default_target] Error 2