List:       inn-workers
Subject:    Re: Journaling filesystems
From:       Tommy van Leeuwen <tommy () support ! nl>
Date:       2002-10-30 10:22:45

Hi,

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Jeffrey M. Vinocur wrote:

> Hmm.  We're using ReiserFS 3, which indeed journals only metadata as far
> as I can tell.

We've had more or less a terrible experience with reiserfs3 too. Complete
holes and random data in the cycbuffs. cnfsfudgecheck fixed it but many
articles were gone. The only good is does is no long fsck's and it seems a
little faster than ext2.

> > twiddle some of the parameters to update(8) (may have a different name
> > depending on your OS) to see if you can reduce the data flush time to
> > something less than 30 seconds.
>
> It just bugs me that if the kernel is just sitting around doing nothing
> (which it is), it can't be bothered to go write after a MS_ASYNC.

Read /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysctl/vm.txt which has some pretty good
information on how to tune this.

Regards,
Tommy