List:       initramfs
Subject:    Re: dracut
From:       Mr Dash Four <mr.dash.four () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2010-10-29 21:40:17

>> Cross building for other architectures is difficult, because all the
>> tools like "ldd", "modprobe", etc. would have to be cross tools.
>>
>> Kernel could be solved by specifying the kernel version and having
>> that version installed.
> That isn't the best, though I understand the rationale behind this now.
>
> There was another reason I asked this: the module which I am currently
> developing for login to LUKS with smartcard tokens requires the core
> modules (smartcard udev drivers as well as core executables) to be
> compiled/build with certain options (the standard/desktop-related
> builds will NOT work - i.e. using inst_* from dracut_functions on
> these on the already installed libraries/executables will NOT work),
> so for this module I need to carry quite a few .so and executable
> files, which will be architecture-dependent and have to be compiled in
> advance.
A bit further on this.

I was able to build initramfs, which is for a different architecture
from the host by using image built with kickstart.

Kickstart used dracut resources on the host, but built all the
dependencies within the image itself which had a different architecture
(my development host is on FC13 and x86_64, the image built was for
P2-specific machine using custom-built-and-heavily-patched kernel, i.e.
i686 architecture). It runs beautifully - cross-building is indeed
possible!

In my new module I did insert architecture-probing code to install
different architecture-dependent libraries, which isn't ideal, but it
does the trick - for now.