List:       infrastructures
Subject:    Re: [Infrastructures] The Major Products
From:       Pete Ehlke <pde-infrastructures () rfc822 ! net>
Date:       2005-09-29 23:12:39

On Wed Sep 28, 2005 at 18:19:36 -0400, Todd Snyder wrote:
>Good day all,
>
>We are looking at finally putting in a systems management tool/tools in
>the new year to handle 1000 pretty much identical stores.  We currently
>do very little, and what we have is home built.  It looks like we've got
>budget and motivation to buy a management tool/tools, but so far
>everyone says they do the same things and are all "the best" (we're at
>the "talking to sales people stage" obviously).
>
>What systems management tools do you use and recommend?  We're looking
>at Zenworks 7, Aduva OnStage, BMC Marimba, CA Unicentre, Symantec
>iCommand, HP Openview, Tivoli *something*, etc.

Opsware Server Automation System.

The Home Depot uses Opsware ( note, I am not affliated with either The
Home Depot or Opsware ) to deploy to and manage something like 7,000
solaris/aix/windows servers in a couple thousand standalone retail
locations around the country. If I recall correctly they are doing
several code pushes a day to all those servers, in something like a 20
minute window per push. The Home Depot deployment posture would seem to
have a lot in common with yours; I'd suggest getting Opsware in for a
demo, and specifically asking about the Home Depot deployment.

-Pete