List:       infrastructures
Subject:    Re: [Infrastructures] Installation using PXEboot but not booting system with DHCP
From:       Thomas Lange <lange () informatik ! uni-koeln ! de>
Date:       2005-06-29 21:25:48

    > 1. Set up BIOS to always boot from the net.
    > 2. Set up a default pxelinux config file that always boots from the local disk.
    > 3. Set up a trivial inetd-based service which unlink()s a file
    >    in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/XXXXXXXX
    >    where XXXXXXXX is the hexadecimal representation of the ip number
    >    which connects to the service, like
That exactly what I'm doing in FAI.

    > -----------------------------
    > #define PREFIX "/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/"
    >         getpeername(0, (struct sockaddr *) &addr, &len)
    >         snprintf(name+sizeof(PREFIX)-1, 9, "%08X", ntohl(*(uint32_t *)(&(addr.sin_addr))))
My fai-chboot script (GPL, written in perl) does the same but much
more.

You can say following

[/home/lange]# fai-chboot -Iv demohost
append parameters: ip=dhcp devfs=nomount FAI_ACTION=install
Booting kernel vmlinuz-install
rootfs is /dev/nfs
demohost has 192.168.1.12 in hex C0A8010C
Writing file /boot/fai/pxelinux.cfg/C0A8010C for demohost

FAI_ACTION is FAI specific but the rest will also work in other
environments.

The script fai-chboot is availabe in the tarbal of fai at
http://www.informatik.uni-koeln.de/fai/download

--
best regards Thomas