List:       infrastructures
Subject:    Re: [Infrastructures] ZenWorks?
From:       Tim Nelson <architect () webalive ! biz>
Date:       2005-03-31 1:09:04

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Michael T. Halligan wrote:

> I've implemented RHN Satellite Server for a customer of mine, at their
> request, and we're at the point where we wish we had built our own
> solution entirely. RedHat's support for this product is non-existant,
> and they've built their product in such a way that if they break a piece
> of their closed-source software, you cannot feasibly back that broken
> rpm out of the satellite server, you're at the mercy of their
> engineering team to create a fix and put out that new piece of
> software.. It's turning into a nightmare and we're looking into ZenWorks
> & Altiris, or just building our own management solution.

 	Just wondering, have you seen:
-	nrh-up2date: http://www.nrh-up2date.org/
-	arpmats: http://arpmats.sourceforge.net/

 	nrh-up2date looks like it could be pushed to do what you want.
Arpmats (which currently requires cfengine) keeps track of which packages
belong where.

 	Disclaimer: I'm the lead developer for Arpmats, and have never
used nrh-up2date.

 	Thanks for the info, though.  Our current solution (with a yum
repository) isn't 100% what we want, and I was actually considering RHN
satellite as an option, but I think I'll be going with NRH now :).

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator

"Your Business, Your Web, Your Control"