List:       infrastructures
Subject:    Re: [Infrastructures] Best/good/non-sucky way to restart daemons when libs are updated?
From:       Wil Cooley <wcooley () nakedape ! cc>
Date:       2005-03-09 18:32:34

Also Sprach Steve Herber <herber@thing.com> on Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 09:14:13AM PST:
> One of the reasons I like the Gentoo package management system is that
> they explicitly document package level dependencies.  Could the Gentoo
> package management systems be expanded to solve this problem?

Well, *most* package management systems implement this sort dependency
management.  The problem is that extending a package management system outside
of its native implementation is a hell of a lot of work, as it sounds like
you've seen.  Or look at the OpenPKG project.  And if you bypass package
management, you're left without that dependency information.

On the other hand, it may be more workable to develop a layer over the native
package management, but even that is problematic, considering the varying
degrees of precision between the different package management systems.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley@nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *